At the end of every month, I’m going to compile a list of things that I have enjoyed during that month. The list can range from activities to products to food that I can’t get enough of. I know consumerism is bad for the planet, wastes precious natural resources, and leads to increased green house gas emissions, but even though I know this I still like consuming. There is something fun about spending money and buying things. It’s nice to have new stuff and to add stuff to your existing stuff collection. With all of this in mind, I’m going to try to consume more sustainably and try to present products that I truly believe in, but I’ll also try to present things that are free.
Here is a list of five products, activities, or things that I have been digging during the past month of September.
- Lush lip tints. These are great! They stay on super long and provide a nice tint for your lips. I was skeptical at first when I bought them. I thought they wouldn’t provide enough color or would fade too quickly, but I was wrong. I love wearing them and it looks like I made an effort without trying too hard.
- This one is free: being outside and enjoying nature. Fall is one of my favorite seasons. It’s so beautiful outside and the perfect time of year to go for long walks and runs in nature. Lace up your sneakers, breath the fresh, crisp air, and enjoy the autumnal colors.
- Everything from Adis Gladis. My friends and I have recently stumbled upon this clothing store in Stockholm. They try to only stock sustainable products and their slogan is “Researching Positive Ways of Living”, which I think is pretty cool. One of the brands they stock is Brain Tree and all of their stuff is super soft and comfortable. (Striped long sleeved t-shirt is from Brain Tree)
- Meditating in the morning with Headspace. Headspace is a guided meditation app. Just ten minutes of meditating in the morning starts my day off right. I feel more focused, energized, and ready to tackle the day.
- Cycling with my friends at Urban Ride in Stockholm. Okay, so this might be a little random from a sustainability standpoint, but being healthy is important. I have a group of friends that I meet every week for a cycling workout. It’s a great way to catch up with friends and it’s an amazing workout. In the future, it would be pretty cool if gyms could be powered from the energy of the spin bikes or weight machines. Imagine that, Green Gyms!
I know that it is extremely difficult to give up consuming, but why not try to purchase products that are made with the planet in mind. I hope this list inspired you to consume more sustainably, to get outside, or to do something for yourself that doesn’t necessarily impact the planet negatively.
Comment below with some of the things that you enjoyed in September or something that you think I should try.